Saturday, July 4, 2015

Hong Kong at Sunset




To purchase original artwork, please email me at:
RubiconMFA@outlook.com


Hong Kong at Sunset (Acrylic on Canvas 35" x 25" x 1.5")
by Herbert Chow


I love sunset and especially sunset over my favorite cities. “Hong Kong at Sunset” is the second stop of my City Skyline Collection. The next painting titled “Dubai at Day Break” will take you to Dubai to see the beautiful floating skyline at sunrise.



Artists usually include low clouds (lower than 5000 feet) in their paintings. I use plenty of negative space above the skyline to amplify the height of this painting. In this manner, I capture the low, middle (5000 to 22,000 feet) and high clouds (above 22,000 feet) all in one setting. I incorporate this style to all the pieces in the Skyline Collection.

Science teaches us that fiery sunset is a result when violet and blue wavelengths of light are absorbed from incoming sunlight by thick layers of dust particles. I often see robust red and orange clouds in hot summer days just before a big storm. The small patch of fast disappearing blue sky reminds the viewers of the glorious day just hours ago and seems to protest against the encroaching red and orange clouds. The cool dark blue ocean water offers high contrast to the fiery image of the evening sky. The luxurious reflections of the harbor lights and colorful skyscrapers promise viewers to another dramatic panoramic night view of the Victoria Harbor.

No comments:

Post a Comment